Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020)
The telemetry of Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) is retrieved with an Interface called Microsoft SimConnect. The SIM Dashboard Server application should already be installed.
The application supports you with the configuration. More on that in the following tutorial.
What is SimConnect?
Microsoft SimConnect is the official Interface, that is used to communicate with the Game.
It has a Server Side (which is the game), and a Client Side (which is the application that wants to read data, SIM Dashboard in this case).
The interface has been around in different versions for many years, and it is necessary that the correct version of the Client is installed on your System. Other applications may use another version of SimConnect, which is no problem. Different versions can be installed at the same time.
Installation and Configuration
1. Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 (including .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
SimConnect requires this version of the Framework, which can be activated in the Windows 10 Settings.
- Press Win + R keys to open Run
- Type appwiz.cpl into the Run dialog box to open the Program and Features Dialog
- click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshot below)
- In the Program and Features Dialog, click on Turn Windows features on or off
- Click on .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) so it displays a black rectangle in the checkbox
- Confirm with OK
- If the .NET Package was not yet installed, the Installation dialog opens. Click on Download files from Windows Update
- Wait until the Installation is finished
2. Download and Install SimConnect
The version which is compatible with SIM Dashboard, can be downloaded here: SimConnect Download
Run the installer with a double click on the .msi File.
3. (Optional) Verify that the correct version has been installed
After you Installed SimConnect, you can verify the correct version if you open the Windows-Settings (cog icon in the Start Menu), click on Apps and search for SimConnect.
The required version must be v10.0.62615.0.
You can have multiple others installed as well, but v10.0.62615.0 must be one of them
4. If SIM Dashboard is currently running, restart it (right click on the SIM Dashboard icon, next to the clock and click Close). Otherwise it cannot pick up the new SimConnect Installation.
4. Check the PC Application
If you haven't restarted the SIM Dashboard PC Application yet, do it now. Then open it and select the Games Tab.
Find the Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) Entry
- the Configured Check Box is green
- The Status Info Text says:
- SimConnect: OK (installed)
- SimConnect config file: OK
If you see the status as described above, you can start the Game
The selected Readout Speed setting can be used adjust the frequency in which the SIM Dashboard Application retrieves data from the game.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a data intensive Simulation, if your PC struggels to keep the Framerate, you can reduce the Readout Speed, so that the external Application does not put additional pressure on your CPU.
If something did not work right away, there are some instructions in the following part of the help page.
SimConnect: NOT INSTALLED
The PC Application shows the Status SimConnect: NOT INSTALLED.
- Install the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) according to the instructions above
- Install SimConnect according to the instructions above.
- Then restart the SIM Dashboard PC Application, so it can pick up the SimConnect Interface.
SimConnect config file: NOT OK
The PC Application shows the Status SimConnect config file: NOT OK.
- Click on the button Modify game config for telemetry to let the PC Application update the game configuration file
- If that was successful, the status changes to SimConnect config file: OK
If the automatic update of the config file was unsuccesful, you can check it manually.
- To find the configuration file, open an Explorer Window
- Steam Installation: Enter %APPDATA%\Microsoft Flight Simulator and hit enter
- Windows Store Installation/Game Pass: Enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache and hit enter
- Download the file SimConnect.xml and put it into the folder (Replace the existing SimConnect.xml file, if there is one)
The important part in that file is the entry
<SimConnect.Comm> <Descr>Default FSX Pipe</Descr> <Protocol>Pipe</Protocol> <Scope>local</Scope> <Port>0</Port> <MaxClients>64</MaxClients> <MaxRecvSize>41088</MaxRecvSize> </SimConnect.Comm>
SimConnect config file: Status unknown
If the PC Application shows the Status SimConnect config file: Status unknown, you can activate Admin rights in the Settings, so the PC Application can readout the config file.
The data readout may still work, in the best case it only indicates, that the PC Application has not enough rights to readout the configuration file.
The game runs slower
If the Game runs slower when you readout data using SimConnect, you can reduce the Setting Selected Readout Speed in the PC Application.