Microsoft Flight Simulator X (2006) Steam Edition
The telemetry of Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition is retrieved with an Interface called Microsoft SimConnect. The SIM Dashboard Server application should already be installed.
The application supports you with the configuration. More on that in the following tutorial.
What is SimConnect?
Microsoft SimConnect is the official Interface, that is used to communicate with the Game.
It has a Server Side (which is the game), and a Client Side (which is the application that wants to read data, SIM Dashboard in this case).
The interface has been around in different versions for many years, and it is necessary that the correct version of the Client is installed on your System. Other applications may use another version of SimConnect, which is no problem. Different versions can be installed at the same time.
Installation and Configuration
1. Enable the .NET Framework 3.5 (including .NET 2.0 and 3.0)
SimConnect requires this version of the Framework, which can be activated in the Windows 10 Settings.
- Press Win + R keys to open Run
- Type appwiz.cpl into the Run dialog box to open the Program and Features Dialog
- click/tap on OK or press Enter. (see screenshot below)
- In the Program and Features Dialog, click on Turn Windows features on or off
- Click on .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) so it displays a black rectangle in the checkbox
- Confirm with OK
- If the .NET Package was not yet installed, the Installation dialog opens. Click on Download files from Windows Update
- Wait until the Installation is finished
2. Download and Install SimConnect
The version which is compatible with SIM Dashboard, can be downloaded here: SimConnect Download
Run the installer with a double click on the .msi File.
3. (Optional) Verify that the correct version has been installed
After you Installed SimConnect, you can verify the correct version if you open the Windows-Settings (cog icon in the Start Menu), click on Apps and search for SimConnect.
The required version must be v10.0.62615.0.
You can have multiple others installed as well, but v10.0.62615.0 must be one of them
4. If SIM Dashboard is currently running, restart it (right click on the SIM Dashboard icon, next to the clock and click Close). Otherwise it cannot pick up the new SimConnect Installation.
4. Check the PC Application
If you haven't restarted the SIM Dashboard PC Application yet, do it now. Then open it and select the Games Tab.
Find the Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition Entry
- the Configured Check Box is green
- The Status Info Text says:
- SimConnect: OK (installed)
If you see the status as described above, you can start the Game
The selected Readout Speed setting can be used adjust the frequency in which the SIM Dashboard Application retrieves data from the game.
Microsoft Flight Simulator is a data intensive Simulation, if your PC struggels to keep the Framerate, you can reduce the Readout Speed, so that the external Application does not put additional pressure on your CPU.
If something did not work right away, there are some instructions in the following part of the help page.
SimConnect: NOT INSTALLED
The PC Application shows the Status SimConnect: NOT INSTALLED.
- Install SimConnect according to the instructions above.
- Then restart the SIM Dashboard PC Application, so it can pick up the SimConnect Interface.
The game runs slower
If the Game runs slower when you readout data using SimConnect, you can reduce the Setting Selected Readout Speed in the PC Application.